Wednesday 1 October 2014

Concept Development Week 01 - Logo

For the logo design I decided I would create a name and logo for a fictional game producing company, which would create a game that my character would belong in.

I began by researching already existing company names and logos in the gaming field, aswell as any design that sprung to mind when I first read the brief.



I then went on to picking a name that I thought would be feesable as a company. I drew some rough ideas for names and possible logos. I couldn't pick between 2 names, therefore I decided Id develop both further and see which one I preferred down the road.


I liked the name Peak Productions as it gives space to be creative with the logo design, involving a mountain or something relevant to a peak, aswell as reflect the high standard of quality in the games produced by the fictional company.

The other name I liked was Horde, as it immediately sounds like a media related company. I also liked the rough design Id created for it.


From here I moved into digitally designing the logos, importing scans of rough ideas if I wanted to develop them (the horde design mainly)

My first attempt was to draw it completely free hand, as I had done in my sketchbook. Here are the results for both.





I'm fond with the design for Horde, although its just a traced copy of the sketchbook design, the addition of colour does bring it to life. I've rendered it out in 3 colours to see what each looks like and I believe red is the best colour for it, same colour as blood, aswell as conveying a sense of strength, power and superiority.




Here is my free hand design for Peak Productions, which I dislike. On the contrast to the Horde design, to which the messy layout and font compliments the theme the word Horde gives, it doesnt work for the name Peak Productions. I do like the way the mountain integrates with the P, but overall think its a weak design that is lacking in most areas. In general a low quality logo.

Although its been interesting working both angles, I do need to decide on one name to move forward with. This is what I'll be deciding on in the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment